Being a member of the Pine Street Community Gardens means agreeing to the following guidelines:
- I will pay a non-refundable annual membership fee of $35, due March 31 of each year. I understand that if I do not pay my membership fee by this date I am giving up my plot and my plot may be reassigned. I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that my membership form and fees are received by March 31 of each year regardless of how/if/when I am reminded by the Community Garden Board.
- I will be the primary gardener of my plot throughout the garden season. If I will be away for part of the growing season or summer, or if I am unable to garden for any other reason I will find someone to tend to my plot while I am away.
- I will advise the Membership Coordinator if I cannot keep one or more of the commitments in these guidelines, or if I choose to terminate my garden membership. (Note: Membership fees are non-refundable except in case of illness.)
- I will advise the Membership Coordinator of any change of address, email address or phone numbers so that I can be contacted regarding garden clean-up parties or other garden business. I understand that if I do not advise the Membership Coordinator of any changes and cannot be contacted, I will lose my garden privileges and my plot will be reassigned.
Maintaining your Plot and the Garden
- I will use only organic gardening practices in my plot. This means I will not use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides in the garden.
- I will have dug over and cleaned my garden by May 1st at the latest and started planting by May 24th.
- I will keep the garden planted and weeded throughout the garden season. Garden cuttings and trimmings will not be placed on paths or in common areas but will be recycled in a timely fashion.
- I will plant/maintain and weed the areas immediately surrounding my plot including keeping the grass around my plot trimmed.
- I will maintain the structure of my plot, repairing or replacing the wood as necessary. I will not use treated or other potentially toxic materials in or around my garden plot. Any trellis supports or greenhouses in excess of 5 feet must be approved by plot neighbours.
- I will “winterize” my garden by November 1st of each year.
Being a Part of the Community
- If I choose to use the communal compost bin I will not add weeds, diseased plants, rocks, or any non-organic materials (e.g. plastic) in the compost.
- I will clean and return tools to the tool sheds after use.
- I will participate in a minimum of 4 all-member garden clean-up parties throughout the gardening season or the equivalent of 8 hours. If I cannot participate in one or more of these parties I will arrange make-up work with the Garden Board members. I understand that it is my responsibility to either attend these clean-up parties, or to arrange make-up work, regardless of how/if/when I am reminded by my the Garden Board members. Dates for the clean up parties are posted on the web site.
- I will not engage in abusive or disrespectful behaviour toward any member of the garden or the general public.